Warm and wet weather can mean more mosquito biting and breeding, including the ones that can carry diseases that make you sick.
Your only protection against mosquitoes and the diseases they can carry is to avoid mozzie bites.
- Mozzies can bite through tight clothing. Cover up – wear long, loose-fitting clothing.
- Use mosquito repellents containing Picaridin or DEET on all exposed skin.
- Limit outdoor activity if lots of mosquitoes are about.
- Remove stagnant water where mosquitoes can breed around your home or campsite.
- On holidays make sure your accommodation is fitted with mosquito netting or screens.
- Use ’knockdown’ fly spray, mosquito coils or plug-in repellent where you gather to sit or eat outdoors.
- Don’t forget the kids – always check the insect repellent label. On babies, you might need to spray or rub repellent on their clothes instead of their skin. Avoid applying repellent to the hands of babies or young children.
For more information, visit Better Health Channel.