GV Health’s pharmacy is located in The Hub at the Graham Street campus.
The Pharmacy provides a comprehensive service to GV Health patients and supports other members of the healthcare team in all aspects of medication management.
The main role of the hospital pharmacists and pharmacy technicians is to promote the safe and effective use of medication by:
- Working with the healthcare team to ensure the selection of the best medication at the correct dose for the appropriate duration
- Monitoring and preventing or minimising side-effects and drug interactions
- Providing medication counselling to patients
- Dispensing medications for patients in wards, the emergency department and outpatients clinics
- Manufacturing specialised medications including chemotherapy, mixtures and creams
- Offering specialised drug therapy advice to all healthcare professionals
- Providing a safe and efficient drug distribution system
- Participating in clinical trials
Medication dispensing and costs
Inpatients are not charged for their medications while in hospital.
Medications for discharged patients, outpatients and other prescriptions do incur a cost. This is usually the the equivalent of the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) co-payment but may vary depending on the medication prescribed.
To qualify for concessional prices, patients need to present their Medicare Card, Healthcare Card, Veterans Affairs Card, Safety Net Card, Pensioner Concession card or Commonwealth Seniors Card.