GV Health’s Chronic Pain Clinic assists people to self-manage their pain.
The program focuses on achieving functional goals that are meaningful to each individual client, via evidence-based practice.
We understand the chronic pain affects many areas of life which is why we take a biopsychosocial approach in the management of Chronic pain.
This means we take into consideration:
- Biological factors – Physical health, physical function, fitness, energy
- Psychological factors – Emotions, thoughts, beliefs, habits
- Social factors – Home life, relationships and family, work, leisure activities
The goal of our treatment is not necessarily pain reduction, but on improved quality of life.
Goals might include:
- Improving the client’s knowledge and understanding of persistent pain
- Assisting the client to develop strategies to manage their pain
- Increasing the client’s activity levels
- Improving the client’s well-being and sense of confidence to manage in everyday life
- Assisting the client in getting back to regular activities and setting new goals
To achieve these goals, the Chronic Pain Clinic has a multidisciplinary team and offers a variety of services and supports including:
- Movement and exercise programs
- Education sessions to help develop skills and strategies to manage pain
- Psychological support
- Dietary advice
- Complementary therapies and strategies such as relaxation/meditation, mindfulness, hydrotherapy and Tai-Chi
- Rehabilitation specialist consultation
- Education and exercise programs assisted by interpreter for non-English speaking clients
Who is GV Health’s Chronic Pain Clinic available to?
GV Health’s Chronic Pain Clinic is an out-patient service and is available to all community members who have pain had pain for three months or more.
How do I access GV Health’s Chronic Pain Clinic?
Access to GV Health’s Chronic Pain Clinic via referral only. To arrange a referral, please speak to your General Practitioner (GP) or treating team. For more information, call (03) 5832 3100.
Please note we are a script free service and as our approach is pain rehabilitation, referrals related purely to S8 permits will not be prioritised or triaged highly.