Occupational Therapists (OTs) are trained health professionals who assist people in overcoming limitations that are the result of injury, illness, psychological difficulties, and the effects of aging.
GV Health’s Occupational Therapists provide a range of services focused on enabling people to live satisfying and meaningful lives and participate in a variety of occupations. Occupational Therapists aim to restore function to promote health, wellbeing, independence and productivity.
The primary goal of Occupational Therapy is to enable people to participate in their activities of daily living such as:
- Personal tasks – Including showering, dressing, toileting, feeding
- Domestic tasks – Including cleaning, cooking, gardening, caring for others
- Community tasks – Such as accessing the community, social and recreational activities, work, paying bills
Clients are actively involved in the therapeutic process, and the outcomes of occupational therapy are diverse and client-driven.
Occupational Therapists assess:
- A person’s ability to perform their chosen occupation including physical, cognitive and psychosocial capacity
- The environment in which the person performs their occupation
- The unique ways in which individuals participate in occupations
Occupational therapy interventions aim to:
- Enable people to participate in their chosen occupation by:
- Building their skills and capacity
- Providing education
- Providing assistive equipment
- Modifying environments
- Modifying the way a task is performed
- Promote health and well-being through encouraging people to engage in occupations that enhance health
Who is GV Health Occupational Therapy services available to?
Occupational Therapy at GV Health is available to people of all ages, including inpatients, outpatients who have been referred from a clinical service within GV Health and people in the community who are referred to GV Health’s outpatient and community services.
How do I access GV Health Occupational Therapy services?
Access to Occupational Therapy at GV Health for admitted patients is via internal referral only.