GV Health’s nutrition and dietetics team provides assessment and management of nutritional and dietary issues for patients during their hospital stay and following discharge.
Dietitians apply the science of human nutrition to food and health. They provide education and practical support to enable people to make dietary choices that will maximize their health and wellbeing. Dietitians work as part of the health care team to ensure high quality client-centered care.
The dietetics team provide care and treatment for patients in hospital including:
- Nutrition screening and assessment
- Consultation on the dietary management of various conditions
- Ensure nutritional adequacy of diet and fluids
- Monitoring of progress
- Provision of alternative nutrition for those who cannot manage oral intake including enteral and parenteral nutrition
- Provision of GV Health Home Enteral Nutrition (HEN) Program
- Education for patients, families and carers on discharge
- Education of nursing, medical and post graduate dietetic students
Who is GV Health’s nutrition and dietetics service available to?
GV Health’s nutrition and dietetics service is available to admitted patients, during business hours Monday to Friday. The service is also available to outpatients who have recently been in hospital or are referred from a clinical service within GV Health.
How do I access GV Health’s nutrition and dietetics service?
Access to GV Health’s nutrition and dietetics service is via internal referral only. At GV Health, dietitians are also employed in community programs including the rural allied health team, community health, Diabetes Centre, HARP and ambulatory aged care.