The GV Diabetes Centre is staffed by a team of clinicians to provide clinical care, education and support for people with diabetes in the Strathbogie, Moira and Greater Shepparton areas and Southern New South Wales.
The GV Diabetes Centre offers individual consultation as well as a range of services and specialist clinics for people with complex and complicated diabetes.
The team is made up of medical officers, diabetes nurse practitioners, credentialed diabetes educators, psychologist, dietitian, podiatrists and team assistant.
- Assessment and advice for people with diabetes who are in hospital at GV Health.
- Shared care with GP, general physician, obstetrician, endocrinologist and other medical staff in stabilising clients with Type 1, Type 2 or Gestational Diabetes.
- Gestational diabetes – small group and individual consultations.
- The GV Health Multidisciplinary Diabetes (MDD) Clinicprovides outpatient clinics for patients with complex and complicated diabetes. The team includes Credentialed Diabetes Educator, Endocrinologist, Medical registrar, Dietitian and Podiatrist – referrals are required.
- Nurse practitioner advanced assessment clinics – referrals are required
- Diabetes in Pregnancy clinic for women requiring Insulin during pregnancy
- Young persons diabetes/transition monthly clinic
- Insulin pump and Continuous Glucose Monitoring System clinic for clients who have unstable (type 1) diabetes
- GV Health High Risk Foot Clinic.
The Centre is open from 9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday and, where appropriate, out of hours telephone support may be provided to clients – especially those requiring Insulin to manage their diabetes.
Referral: Doctors, and other health workers, may refer to the diabetes centre or the client may self-refer.
The Diabetes Centre also provides staff development and in-service sessions to health workers and carers on many topics related to diabetes management, as well as consultancy and support to in-patients and community based clients.
The GV Diabetes Centre has been an active full member of the National Association of Diabetes Centres (NADC) (based in Canberra) since 2003 and is currently accredited as a regional tertiary NADC diabetes centre.