GV Health Mental Health Employment & Education
The GV Area Mental Health Service (GVAMHS) team includes Registered Psychiatric Nurses (RPNs), Psychologists, Social Workers, Occupational Therapists, Consultant Psychiatrists (3) and a rotating Medical Officer and Psychiatrist Registrar.
As part of employment conditions all mental health staff are offered training in ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) and PART (Professional Assault Response Training). GVAMHS currently offers two Post Graduate Scholarships in Advanced Clinical Nursing and Psychiatry. Academic Sessions are held every Wednesday from 1.30 - 3.00pm across the service and sponsored by various drug companies.
For further information and/or enquiries about these services please contact :
||Human Resources Department |
||GV Health |
||Graham Street |
||+61 3 5832 2081 hours 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday|
||+61 3 5832 2082|
RANZCP Registrar Training Program
Goulburn Valley Area Mental Health Service, Shepparton
Goulburn Valley Area Mental Health Service (GVAMHS), Shepparton caters to the need of a population of more than 150,000 people in North-Central Victoria extending from the outer fringes of metropolitan Melbourne in the south, up to the Murray River in the north.
The service is well developed and is currently accredited and funded for basic and advanced training positions. The service, which employs eleven FRANZCP consultant psychiatrists (eight full-time and three part-time), is keen on training the future generation of regionally based psychiatrists.
There is a 15-bed, adult inpatient unit and a five-bed old-aged psychiatry inpatient unit. There is also a 20-bed psychogeriatric nursing home.
The service has well developed sub-specialities of:
In addition, a headspace centre will be established in Shepparton in January 2013, with GVAMHS as the lead organisation.
- Child and Youth Psychiatry
- Early Psychosis Service
- General Adult Psychiatry
- Psychiatry of Old Age
- Primary Mental Health Service
- Perinatal Mental Health
- Private Psychiatry
- Consultation Liaison Psychiatric Services
GVAMHS offers both long-term and short-term psychosocial rehabilitation for people with mental illness. It has collaborated for more than a decade with Mental Illness Fellowship of Victoria, a non-governmental organisation, to open a 10-room long stay residential rehabilitation program. This partnership also saw the opening of the first Prevention & Recovery Care (PARC) program in Australia in 2003. PARC is a step-up/step-down program for people with mental illness.
Since 2006 GVAMHS has collaborated with Rumbalara Aboriginal Co-operative, to provide mental health services to the local Aboriginal community through a weekly Woongi Emotional and Spiritual Wellbeing Clinic. The service has collaborated with state and national agencies to reduce stigma and enhance access to people from Culturally & Linguistically Diverse backgrounds, especially refugee people who have been resettled in the local area.
During the past year, GVAMHS has developed a close working relationship with SPECTRUM, the Victorian state-wide personality disorder service to provide training to staff and refine local capacity to provide services to people with personality disorders.
GVAMHS is a teaching site for medical students training at the Rural Clinical School at the University of Melbourne at Shepparton. GVAMHS has an active academic and research environment with regular case conferences, presentations and publications. In the past eight years, staff have published more than 35 papers in national and international peer reviewed journals.
We have a trainee registrar position in psychiatry and we offer the following advantages to our trainee registrars:
- Trainees will be provided with 50% reimbursement of their formal education course i.e. the Masters in Psychological Medicine course fee or equivalent toward attending a CME activity;
- Opportunity to complete all mandatory rotations and competencies within the service with adequate supervision;
- Quality training for RANZCP examinations (written and clinical examinations). GVAMHS has had considerable experience with preparing overseas trained psychiatrists in successfully sitting the RANZCP examination;
- GVAMHS employs qualified Fellows with local and international experience with special interest in wide variety of areas including psychotherapies. They will provide accredited supervision for basic and advanced training;
- Local teaching sessions focussing on basic knowledge and skills development on wide variety of areas;
- Opportunity to do research and publish papers if interested, with guidance from supervisors;
- Focus on overall skills development of our trainees including leadership skills to assist them further their careers;
- Opportunity to gain private practise experience with appropriate supervision;
- Opportunity to teach medical students from the University of Melbourne Rural Clinical School and interns to gain valuable teaching experience during your training;
- Advanced training in General Adult Psychiatry, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychiatry of Old Age.
If you are interested in this excellent opportunity to obtain quality training as a Registrar at GV Health, please call (03) 5832 2112 for more information.
Print Friendly Version